Dry Eye Technology
This unique treatment is designed to remove any blockages from the meibomian gland and treat dry eye symptoms. In the past, dry eye has primarily been treated with prescription or over-the-counter eye drops, dietary supplements, and punctal plugs (also known as tear duct plugs). LipiFlow treatment provides relief similar to these remedies but in a more effective, safe, and drug-free way.
IPL, or intense pulsed light, treatment designed to improve the symptoms of dry eye disease and lipid deficiency dry eye. During treatment, the patient will wear protective eyewear as the treatment is delivered to the upper cheek area, under the eyes, and around the nose. Treatment breaks up any blockages in glands and abnormal blood vessels causing inflammation.
Wizard Heat Masks
The way to save your healthy eye glands is to treat the area early on. The Wizard Heat Mask maintains a steady, constant source of heat applied to help relax the eyelids. You will experience a huge amount of relief once you try this heated eye mask.
A Moist Heat Mask compress for mild dry eye with a patent-pending cross hatch design proven to deliver even heat distribution. Heating the mask for 20 seconds will provide soothing moist-heat relief for dry, scratchy, irritated eyes. Comes with a soft, removable Instant Heat Pocket for easy washing after every use.
What does LipiFlow Thermal Pulsation treat?
- LipiFlow treats meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD), the leading cause of dry eye.
How will the LipiFlow treatment help me?
- LipiFlow is a safe and effective way to warm the meibomian glands (in the eyelid) and massages them to remove gland blockages. Allowing for optimal function of the remaining glands, and preserving the remaining glands.
- The removal of the meibomian gland obstruction is not nearly as effective with heat packs alone. (The LipiFlow treatment removes the blockage in the glands by warming the inner lids).
- Heat packs are typically more effective post LipiFlow treatment,once the obstruction has been removed.
How long does one treatment last?
- Results of the LipiFlow are dependent on how severe your MGD is at the time of treatment and your compliance with the prescribed supplemental therapy. Studies show 12 month treatment efficacy.
- The doctor will assess re-treatment based on symptoms and meibomian gland function, ideally future treatments will be performed before more structural damage occurs.
When Will I see results?
- The clinical results show patients had 3x gland function improvement after a single 12 minute LipiFlow procedure.
- 90% of patients had significant symptom improvement at their 8 week follow up appointment. On average their symptoms were cut in half.
What happens during the LipiFlow treatment?
- You will be reclined in a chair at a 45-degree angle. When it’s time to begin treatment, a numbing drop will be dropped into your eye Then, single use eye pieces will be placed that warm and gently massage your upper and lower eyelids, to liquefy and remove obstructions from the glands. The treatment takes approximately 12 minutes & both eyes are typically done at the same time. Plan on being at the clinic for a total of 45 min to allow for the procedure and any necessary paperwork.
What does the LipiFlow feel like?
- Patients will have an awareness of heat and pressure during the therapy. The majority of patients do not experience discomfort however, everyone’s perception and experience is different.
- Most patients feel very relaxed and can rest during the treatment, there is no pain.
Will you be touching my eyes?
- The treatment does not touch the cornea, the most sensitive part of your eye. The single use eye piece rests on the white part of your eye, which is numb, and the upper and lower eyelids.
What symptoms will I experience after the treatment?
- You may have some redness that will improve and your eyes may feel irritated for the first week after the procedure then you will notice gradual improvement. Following your Supplemental Maintenance Program will help your eyes feel their best.
Can I return to normal activities?
- Yes, you may return to your usual activities after LipiFlow. Lubricating eye drops should be used every 2 hours for the first week following your treatment.
- Contact Lenses can be inserted immediately after treatment, make-up applied and back to normal routine.
Why is a patient asked to sign a consent form?
- The review and signing of a consent form is common practice to assist in educating you regarding the benefits and potential risks and side effects of a treatment procedure.
After LipiFlow treatment, when should I return?
- We recommend you return for a follow-up evaluation approximately 6 to 8 weeks after your procedure.
- The evaluation assess the effectiveness of the LipiFlow treatment and your Supplemental Maintenance program to fully manage any and all of the causes of your dry eye.
Does my health insurance cover LipiFlow Treatment?
- At this time, LipiFlow is not covered by medical insurance. However, you are able to use your HSA or FSA accounts.
- Your insurance will cover the medical office visits (evaluation and follow-up appointments) with the exception of co-pays, deductibles or coinsurance.